Kitchener Death Prompts SIU Investigation
Case Number: 16-OCD-025
Other News Releases Related to Case 16-OCD-025
(31 January, 2016) ---
The death of a 37-year-old man in Kitchener is now the subject of an investigation by the province’s Special Investigations Unit.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
- Around 5:30 p.m. on Saturday, January 30, Waterloo Regional Police were called to a home in the Lancaster Street West and Bridgeport Road East area.
- There, they encountered a man in medical distress.
- The man was transported to Grand River Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Two investigators and one forensic investigator have been assigned to investigate this incident.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the Unit at 1-800-787-8529 Ext 1806.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jason Gennaro, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-641-1897 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 1897