SIU Investigating Fatal Shooting in Toronto
Case Number: 16-TFD-064
- Shortly after 10:00 p.m. on March 4, Toronto Police became involved with a man outside a residence on Bayview Avenue south of Steeles Avenue.
- There was a confrontation and several officers discharged their firearms.
- The 30-year-man was struck. He was rushed to Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre where he was pronounced dead.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jason Gennaro, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-641-1863 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 1863