SIU Investigating Serious Collision in Brampton
Case Number: 16-OVI-069
Other News Releases Related to Case 16-OVI-069
Mississauga (9 March, 2016) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit is investigating the circumstances surrounding a serious collision that occurred in Brampton yesterday afternoon.
Preliminary information suggests the following:
- Around 1:30 p.m. on Tuesday March 8, a Peel Regional Police officer was responding to a call in the area.
- The police cruiser was involved in a collision with a civilian vehicle at the intersection of Bovaird Drive and Nasmith Street.
- The 70-year-old female driver of the civilian vehicle suffered a serious injury and was taken to Brampton Civic Hospital for treatment.
The SIU has assigned three investigators, two forensic investigators, and a traffic reconstructionist as part of the investigation.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have witnessed the incident to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529 or at 416-641-1873.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jasbir Dhillon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342