SIU Investigating Police Shooting at Scene of Homicide in Peterborough
Case Number: 16-OFI-079
Other News Releases Related to Case 16-OFI-079
- Around 11:45 p.m., Peterborough Police Service received a call about an assault at a residence on Middlefield Road.
- Officers arrived and encountered a 25-year-old man with a knife.
- Shots were fired and the man was wounded.
- He was rushed to Peterborough Regional Health Centre and then transported by ambulance to St. Michael’s Hospital in Toronto. He underwent emergency surgery and is currently in the intensive care unit.
- The body of a deceased woman was found at the scene.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342