SIU Investigating Pursuit in Downtown Toronto; Several People Injured when Two Vehicles Collided
Case Number: 16-TVI-081
Other News Releases Related to Case 16-TVI-081
- Sometime before 3:00 a.m. in the area of York Street and Bremner Boulevard, Toronto Police attempted to stop a vehicle.
- The vehicle fled.
- Minutes later, at the intersection of Bay Street and Wellington Street West, the fleeing vehicle struck a second vehicle, which was operating as an Uber vehicle.
- There was a collision. Eight persons were transported to three area hospitals. At least three of those persons were seriously injured.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jason Gennaro, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-641-1897 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 1897