Death of a 93-year-old Man in Welland Subject of an SIU Investigation
Case Number: 16-OCD-087
Other News Releases Related to Case 16-OCD-087
- Just before 8:00 p.m. on March 31, 2016, Niagara Regional Police officers received a 911 call about a man at the Welland Canal.
- Officers responded and engaged with the individual.
- Sometime before noon on April 1, 2016, the body of a 93-year-old man was found in the water at the Welland Canal, near the Merritt Park Amphitheatre.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jason Gennaro, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-641-1897 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 1897