SIU Investigating after a University Student was Struck by a London Police Cruiser
Case Number: 16-OVI-089
Other News Releases Related to Case 16-OVI-089
- Shortly after midnight on April 4, 2016, three persons were travelling southbound on Richmond Street in a Yellow London Taxi.
- The taxi stopped in the southbound lanes south of Piccadilly Street and opposite Molly Bloom's restaurant.
- Three young persons exited the taxi and crossed the road towards the restaurant.
- At the same time, a London Police cruiser was travelling northbound on Richmond Street. It struck one of the persons, a 20-year-old female university student.
- She was later treated at hospital for a fractured shoulder.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342