UPDATE: SIU Clarifies Timeline in Arrest in Sault Ste. Marie
Case Number: 16-OCI-085
Other News Releases Related to Case 16-OCI-085
- Late in the evening on March 26, 2016, Sault Ste. Marie Police received a 911 call.
- Officers responded to a residence. There was a brief struggle with officers and a 55-year-old man was arrested for a breach of recognizance.
- After the arrest, the man was taken to the Sault Area Hospital and treated.
- In the early morning hours of March 27, 2016, the man was released from the hospital and taken back into police custody.
- In the afternoon of March 27, 2016, following an appearance before a Justice of the Peace, the man was remanded into custody and transferred to the Algoma Treatment and Remand Centre.
- Mid-morning on March 28, 2016, the man was found in distress. Correctional Officers escorted the man to the Sault Area Hospital where further tests found broken bones.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342