SIU Investigating Two-Car Crash in Ottawa; Three Seriously Injured
Case Number: 16-OVD-095
Other News Releases Related to Case 16-OVD-095
- About 1:15 a.m., an Ottawa Police officer in a marked police cruiser attempted to stop the driver of a Pontiac G6 in the area of Cumberland and George Streets in the Byward Market.
- The driver fled and the officer started a pursuit.
- Moments later, the pursuit was called off.
- Not long after, the driver of the Pontiac was involved in a collision with a Honda Accord at the intersection of McArthur Avenue and Vanier Parkway.
- Three persons were rushed to Ottawa Hospital – Civic Campus. The 37-year-old driver of the Pontiac and the 24-year-old driver of the Honda (both male) are in critical condition. A 21-year-old female passenger in the Honda suffered serious injuries.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342