SIU Investigating Collision involving 75-year-old Man
Case Number: 16-OVI-100
- Just before 4:00 p.m. today, a grey Honda Accord was travelling westbound on Kingston Road west of Lakeridge Road.
- At the same time, an unmarked Durham Regional Police pickup truck was travelling eastbound on the same road.
- The vehicles collided.
- The 75-year-old driver of the Honda Accord suffered life-threatening injuries and was airlifted to St. Michael’s Hospital in Toronto.
- Two officers who were in the pickup truck suffered minor injuries. They were taken to Lakeridge Health Centre, treated, and released.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342