Firearm Death of Sault Ste. Marie Man Subject of SIU Investigation
Case Number: 16-OCD-135
Other News Releases Related to Case 16-OCD-135
The circumstances surrounding the firearm death of a 40-year-old man in Sault Ste. Marie is now the subject of an SIU investigation.
Preliminary information suggests the following:
- Around noon on May 29th, Sault Ste. Marie Police received reports of a pickup truck being driven erratically.
- An officer located the vehicle in the area of Fourth Line and Goulais Avenue and made an attempt to stop it.
- The vehicle pulled into a driveway on Fourth Line.
- Moments later, the man suffered a fatal gunshot wound.
One subject officer has been designated as part of this investigation.
Two investigators and one forensic investigator have been assigned to this incident.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have witnessed the incident to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529 or 416-641-1872.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342