SIU Probing Incident in Sarnia where Man Sustains Arm Injury
Case Number: 16-OCI-137
Other News Releases Related to Case 16-OCI-137
The province’s Special Investigations Unit is examining the circumstances surrounding an incident in Sarnia where a 28-year-old man suffered a serious arm injury.
Preliminary information suggests the following:
- Close to 7:00 p.m. on May 31, Sarnia Police Service received a call for assistance at an apartment at 835 Devine Street.
- An officer arrived and interacted with a 28-year-old man.
- Officers from the Emergency Response Team also attended the apartment.
- At some point during the interaction, more than one conducted energy weapon was deployed.
- The man was arrested, taken to the Bluewater Health, and is being treated for an arm injury.
One subject officer has been designated as part of this investigation.
Three investigators and one forensic investigator have been assigned to this incident.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have witnessed the incident to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342