SIU Director Terminates Investigation into Arrest of Woman in Pickering
Case Number: 16-OCI-088
Other News Releases Related to Case 16-OCI-088
- A woman was celebrating her father’s birthday at a licensed establishment when the woman’s parents became concerned about her behaviour.
- The parents drove the woman to Durham Regional Police Service’s 19 Division, where she had to be restrained by officers.
- She was taken to hospital, released without treatment, and taken to 17 Division.
- After some time, she was taken to another hospital and diagnosed with a possible fractured wrist.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342