SIU Called to Investigate Shooting between Police and a Man in Brampton Townhouse Complex
Case Number: 16-OFI-145
Other News Releases Related to Case 16-OFI-145
- Just after midnight on June 8, Peel Police received a call about a disturbance in one of the buildings at Newhaven Manor, close to Highway 410 and Williams Parkway.
- Officers responded and confronted a 24-year-old man.
- There was a brief foot chase and shots were fired between police officers and the man.
- The man was struck several times.
- He was rushed to Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre. He underwent surgery and is currently in critical condition.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jason Gennaro, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-641-1897 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 1897