SIU Investigating Three Car Collision that Occurred Following a TAVIS Traffic Stop
Case Number: 16-TVI-147
- Shortly after 5:30 p.m. on June 8, several Toronto Police officers assigned to TAVIS attempted to stop a vehicle.
- The vehicle fled the scene of the stop.
- Not long after that, there was a three-vehicle collision at the intersection of Albion Road and Elmhurst Drive.
- The 32-year-old driver who fled from police was arrested. He did not suffer serious injuries.
- A 42-year-old woman in one of the vehicles involved in the collision suffered a serious leg injury. She was taken to Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jason Gennaro, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-641-1897 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 1897