SIU Investigating Fatal House Fire in Windsor
Case Number: 16-OCD-161
Other News Releases Related to Case 16-OCD-161
- Around 4:00 a.m. this morning, emergency services were called about a fire at 1022 Ford Boulevard.
- When Windsor Police officers arrived at the scene, the house was on fire.
- There was a brief interaction with a man who was inside the house.
- Windsor Fire & Rescue Services extinguished the fire, and a 47-year-old man was discovered inside the house.
- The man was pronounced dead a short time later at hospital.
- Three police officers were also transported to hospital. They were treated for smoke inhalation and released.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342