Toronto Police Officer Charged with Criminal Negligence Causing Death and Failing to Provide the Necessaries of Life
Case Number: 16-TOD-029
Other News Releases Related to Case 16-TOD-029
- Around 2:00 p.m., on February 2, 2016, a man sought the assistance of a police officer in regards to a suicide attempt by another man inside High Park in Toronto.
- The suicidal 19-year-old man was pronounced dead close to 3:30 p.m. that afternoon.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jason Gennaro, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-641-1897 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 1897