SIU Investigating Incident Involving Toronto Police
Case Number: 16-TCI-175
Other News Releases Related to Case 16-TCI-175
The province’s Special Investigations Unit is examining the circumstances surrounding an incident where a 39-year-old man was struck by a conducted energy weapon and seriously injured.
Preliminary information suggests the following:
- Just after 4:00 p.m. on July 4, Toronto Police were dispatched to an apartment building at 900 Jane Street, south of Eglinton Avenue West.
- There was an encounter with a 39-year-old man.
- Around 6:00 p.m., one officer deployed a conducted energy weapon (CEW).
- The 39-year-old man was transported to Humber River Hospital with a facial injury. He is expected to undergo surgery in the morning.
The SIU has designated one subject officer and two witness officers as part of the investigation.
Two investigators and one forensic investigator have been assigned to investigate this incident.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have witnessed the incident to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529.
The SIU is an independent civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342