SIU Investigating Shooting following Knife Attack on Dundas Street in Toronto
Case Number: 16-TFI-205
- Sometime after 5:30 this morning, Toronto Police received a call about a man who had been stabbed by another man. This incident occurred on Yonge Street north of Dundas Street.
- Around 6:00 a.m., officers arrived and confronted a 39-year-old man on Dundas Street between Yonge and Bay Streets.
- Several shots were fired and the man was struck a number of times.
- The man was taken to St. Michael’s Hospital. He has undergone surgery and remains in hospital in non-life-threatening condition.
- The 66-year-old man was treated for a knife wound and released from hospital.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jason Gennaro, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-641-1897 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 1897