SIU Terminates Investigation into Hanover Incident
Case Number: 16-OCI-166
- About 12:30 a.m. on June 26, 2016, Hanover Police Service started receiving calls about a man acting strangely.
- When police officers arrived, the man asked for assistance. He was apprehended without incident under the Mental Health Act.
- The 51-year-old man was taken to Hanover & District Hospital, where he was diagnosed with a displaced left clavicle fracture.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342