SIU Investigating After Pedestrian Struck By Police Cruiser in Hamilton
Case Number: 16-OVI-233
- At approximately 3:30 p.m. on Monday, September 12, 2016, the 74-year-old woman was at the intersection of King Street and Dundurn Street. She proceeded to cross Dundurn Street.
- Meanwhile, a cruiser being driven by a Hamilton Police Service officer was traveling west on King Street. When the officer attempted to turn south onto Dundurn Street, the woman was struck.
- She was taken to hospital for treatment of a leg injury.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342