SIU Investigating After Man Sustains Serious Injuries in Mississauga
Case Number: 16-OCI-234
- In the late afternoon hours of Monday, September 12, 2016, Peel Regional Police officers and the Tactical Response Unit attended an apartment building located at 225 Webb Drive in Mississauga. Responders with the fire department were also on scene as there had been a fire in a unit on the 16th floor.
- Police negotiated with the 38-year-old man who lived in the residence that had the fire. At approximately 8:20 p.m., police entered the apartment unit and an interaction occurred. A Conducted Energy Weapon was deployed.
- The man was taken to Trillium Health Centre for treatment of injuries.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342