Death of a Man in Brampton Prompts SIU Investigation
Case Number: 16-OCD-238
- Just after 6:30 p.m. on September 17, 2016, Peel Regional Police received a call about a domestic situation at an apartment on Malta Avenue.
- Officers arrived and spoke to residents of the apartment.
- Shortly after that, a man fell from the building.
- The 34-year-old man was pronounced dead at the scene.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342