SIU Investigating After Police Motorcycle and Civilian Motorcycle Collide in Hamilton
Case Number: 16-OVI-240
Other News Releases Related to Case 16-OVI-240
- At approximately 2:30 p.m. on Monday, September 19, 2016, a Hamilton Police Service officer operating a motorcycle was attempting to stop a man also operating a motorcycle.
- The motorcycles collided near South Bend Road West and Upper James Street.
- The civilian fled the scene on foot. He was later found by another officer and arrested in the area of West 1st Street and McElroy Road West.
- The man was taken to St. Joseph’s Hospital for treatment of an arm injury.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342