SIU Called after Halton Police Officer Shoots Man in Downtown Toronto
Case Number: 16-OFI-242
Other News Releases Related to Case 16-OFI-242
- Just after 3:30 p.m., a criminal defence lawyer was leaving his law office at 23 Bedford Road, which is north of Bloor Street and west of Avenue Road.
- Moments later, in the driveway of the law office, the lawyer was shot by a man.
- Plainclothes Halton Regional Police officers were conducting surveillance in the area, and shortly after the shooting, one Halton Police officer shot at the man who shot the lawyer.
- The man who was shot by Halton police is 51-years-old. He was rushed to hospital, underwent surgery, and is listed in serious condition.
- The 66-year-old criminal defence lawyer was rushed to another hospital and is recovering from gunshot wounds to his legs.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342