SIU Investigating After Man Sustains Serious Injuries in Peterborough
Case Number: 16-OCI-252
Other News Releases Related to Case 16-OCI-252
- At approximately 7:30 p.m. on Friday, September 30, 2016, officers with Peterborough Police Service responded to a Tim Hortons on George Street North.
- Upon arrival, the officers were directed across the street. As officers approached the 22-year-old man, he fled towards a nearby railway line. Officers followed.
- A short time later, the man fell and sustained a head injury. He was taken to Peterborough Regional Health Centre for treatment, and then transferred to Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre.
- The man remains in hospital in critical but stable condition.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342