SIU Lays Assault Charges against Three Toronto Police Officers
Case Number: 15-TCI-174
- In the evening hours of February 13, 2013, officers arrested a 46-year-old man at his home and placed him in the back of a police cruiser.
- While transporting the man to the police station, there was an interaction between the man and three officers.
- The man was taken to the Humber River Regional Hospital for examination, and it was later determined that he suffered a serious injury.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342