SIU Investigating After Construction Worker Fatally Struck in Scarborough
Case Number: 16-TVD-258
Other News Releases Related to Case 16-TVD-258
- At approximately 11:15 a.m., a Toronto Police Service officer attempted to stop a white BMW in the area of Midland Avenue and Eglinton Avenue East.
- The driver refused to stop, and the officer followed the vehicle.
- A short time later, the driver struck a 41-year-old man who was cutting concrete just west of the intersection of Midland and Eglinton Avenues.
- An ambulance attended the scene and the man was pronounced dead.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342