SIU Investigating after Man Sustains Injuries in Brampton
Case Number: 16-OCI-267
- At approximately 4:15 a.m. on Friday, October 28, 2016, officers with Peel Regional Police Service noticed a tractor trailer near the intersection of Kimbel Street and Torbram Road in Mississauga. Officers followed the tractor trailer.
- In the area of Steeles Avenue West and McLaughlin Road South in Brampton, the officers attempted to stop the truck. In the process, there was a collision between one cruiser and the truck.
- Shortly after the driver of the truck was removed from the vehicle, he was bitten on the leg by a police dog. At some point during the interaction, a conducted energy weapon was deployed.
- The driver of the truck was taken to Brampton Civic Hospital for treatment of a dog bite injury and for a neck injury.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342