SIU Investigating Death following Interaction between Man and Toronto Police Officers
Case Number: 16-TCD-276
Other News Releases Related to Case 16-TCD-276
Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit is examining the circumstances surrounding the death of a 31-year-old man during an interaction with Toronto Police officers near St. Clair Avenue and Old Weston Road.
Preliminary information suggests the following:
- Around noon today, Toronto Police received a 911 call.
- Several officers responded and arrived outside an address on Sagres Crescent. They confronted a man.
- There was an interaction and a police officer discharged a conducted energy weapon.
- The man went into medical distress. He was rushed to hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Six investigators and two forensic investigators have been assigned to investigate this incident.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have information about this investigation to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342