SIU Investigating Death following Interaction between Man and Toronto Police Officers
Case Number: 16-TCD-276
Other News Releases Related to Case 16-TCD-276
- Around noon today, Toronto Police received a 911 call.
- Several officers responded and arrived outside an address on Sagres Crescent. They confronted a man.
- There was an interaction and a police officer discharged a conducted energy weapon.
- The man went into medical distress. He was rushed to hospital where he was pronounced dead.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations