Fatal Collision in Brantford the Subject of an SIU Investigation
Case Number: 16-OVD-278
Other News Releases Related to Case 16-OVD-278
- Brantford Police Service officers were searching for a 29-year-old man in relation to an assault with a weapon.
- Just after 10:30 this morning, officers attempted to stop a vehicle.
- The vehicle fled. It collided with another vehicle in the intersection of Colborne Street and Gilkison Street.
- One of the persons inside the vehicle that fled was treated for minor injuries. A second person in that vehicle was uninjured.
- The driver of the vehicle that was struck was uninjured. A passenger suffered serious injuries, including several broken bones. The other passenger in that vehicle – a 94-year-old woman – was rushed to hospital where she was pronounced dead.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342