SIU Investigating Five Car Crash in North York
Case Number: 16-OVD-093
Other News Releases Related to Case 16-OVD-093
- Sometime around 9:00 p.m. on April 9, 2016, Peel Regional Police officers attempted to interact with a man driving a vehicle.
- The 33-year-old man fled from officers.
- Not long after, the vehicle the man was driving was involved in a collision at the intersection of Cummer and Willowdale Avenues. In total, five civilian vehicles were involved in the crash.
- The driver of the vehicle who fled from police was transported to hospital with life-threatening injuries.
- Information at present indicates no others persons involved in the crash suffered serious injuries.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342