SIU Investigating Collision in Vaughan
Case Number: 16-OVI-292
Other News Releases Related to Case 16-OVI-292
- At approximately 11:30 p.m. on Thursday, November 24, 2016, York Regional Police officers saw a suspicious vehicle traveling southbound on Pine Valley Drive. However, they lost sight of the vehicle when it fled onto Highway 407 going eastbound.
- A short time later, the vehicle struck a tree on Weston Road, north of Steeles Avenue West.
- The driver of the vehicle fled by foot, but was later apprehended. The 18-year-old female passenger had to be removed from the vehicle by firefighters. She was taken to hospital where she was diagnosed with an ankle fracture.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342