SIU Investigating Collision in Markham
Case Number: 16-OVI-293
- At approximately 12:30 p.m. on Friday, November 25, 2016, an officer with York Regional Police was conducting radar on Ninth Line, north of Elgin Mills Road East, when a vehicle traveling southbound approached the area at a high rate of speed.
- The police officer made a U-turn in an attempt to follow the vehicle.
- The officer located the vehicle a short distance away, at the Elgin Mills Road East and Highway 48 intersection. The vehicle had crashed into a pole. The 16-year-old female passenger and the 54-year-old male driver were taken to hospital for treatment. The female has since been released while the man remains in hospital.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342