SIU Investigating Fatal Shooting in Nipigon
Case Number: 16-PFD-294
- At approximately 7:30 p.m. on Saturday, November 26, 2016, Ontario Provincial Police officers responded to a home in Nipigon.
- Upon arrival, officers encountered a man and there was an interaction. One officer discharged his firearm, striking the man.
- The man was transported to Nipigon District Memorial Hospital where he was later pronounced dead.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342