SIU Investigation in St. Catharines Started Following Police Interaction at a Variety Store
Case Number: 16-OCI-295
- Shortly after 5:30 p.m., Niagara Police received a call about an incident at variety store at the corner of Arthur Street and Northglen Avenue.
- Officers arrived and a conducted energy weapon was discharged.
- An 18-year-old man was rushed to hospital and is listed in serious condition.
- A 77-year-old man and a 75-year-old woman were also transported to hospital with minor injuries.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jason Gennaro, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-641-1897 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 1897