SIU Called after Vehicle Collision in Downtown Toronto; Investigators Appealing for Witnesses
Case Number: 16-TVI-300
- Around 2:50 a.m. on December 2, Toronto Police officers in the area of Bathurst Street and King Street West became aware of a vehicle.
- The police officers attempted to stop that vehicle.
- A short time later, near the intersection of Portland Street and Richmond Street West, the vehicle struck a number of other vehicles and flipped onto its roof.
- Two men inside the vehicle were taken to St. Michael’s Hospital, one with serious internal injuries.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jason Gennaro, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-641-1897 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 1897