SIU Called to Investigate Incident in which a Woman Suffered Life-threatening Injuries in Toronto
Case Number: 17-TCD-001
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-TCD-001
- Around 4:45 a.m., Toronto Police Service officers arrived at a residence on Saint Clarens Avenue in Toronto.
- A short time later, police officers located a 60-year-old woman between the residence and another house.
- The woman was transported to hospital with life-threatening injuries.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342