SIU Called to Investigate Incident in which a Woman Suffered Life-threatening Injuries in Toronto
Case Number: 17-TCD-001
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-TCD-001
The province’s Special Investigations Unit is examining the circumstances surrounding an incident in which a woman suffered life-threatening injuries in Toronto.
Preliminary information suggests the following:
- Around 4:45 a.m., Toronto Police Service officers arrived at a residence on Saint Clarens Avenue in Toronto.
- A short time later, police officers located a 60-year-old woman between the residence and another house.
- The woman was transported to hospital with life-threatening injuries.
Five investigators and one forensic investigator have been assigned to investigate this incident.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have information about this investigation to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529.
The SIU is a civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or an allegation of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of investigations to the Attorney General.
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342