SIU Investigation Started in Toronto after Man on Bike was Injured
Case Number: 17-TVI-004
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-TVI-004
- Sometime in the evening of January 9th, 2017, Toronto Police were called to the area of McCowan Road and Lawrence Avenue East.
- Around 7:30 p.m., police officers responded to the area.
- The officers located a man on a bicycle on McCowan Road.
- Shortly after that, there was a collision between a police cruiser and the bicycle.
- The 52-year-old man was transported to hospital with serious injuries.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342