SIU Investigation Started in Toronto after Man on Bike was Injured
Case Number: 17-TVI-004
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-TVI-004
The province’s Special Investigations Unit has started an investigation into an incident in which a 52-year-old man was injured when a Toronto Police Service cruiser and his bicycle collided.
Preliminary information suggests the following:
- Sometime in the evening of January 9th, 2017, Toronto Police were called to the area of McCowan Road and Lawrence Avenue East.
- Around 7:30 p.m., police officers responded to the area.
- The officers located a man on a bicycle on McCowan Road.
- Shortly after that, there was a collision between a police cruiser and the bicycle.
- The 52-year-old man was transported to hospital with serious injuries.
Two investigators, one forensic investigator, and a collision reconstructionist have been assigned to investigate this incident.
The SIU is asking anyone who may have information about this incident to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529. The Unit is also urging anyone who may have any video evidence related to this incident to upload that video through the SIU Web site.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342