SIU Investigating After Man Fatally Struck by Vehicle in Clarington
Case Number: 17-OVD-015
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-OVD-015
- In the evening hours of Tuesday, January 17, 2017, officers with Durham Regional Police Service spotted a vehicle they had been attempting to locate. They managed to stop the vehicle on northbound Highway 115, north of Taunton Road.
- There was an interaction between an officer and a male occupant of the vehicle. The male ran across the northbound lanes of Highway 115 and entered into the southbound lanes where he was struck by a pickup truck traveling south.
- The man was pronounced dead at the scene.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342