SIU Investigating Multi-Vehicle Collision in Kitchener
Case Number: 17-OVI-018
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-OVI-018
- At approximately 11 a.m. on Wednesday, January 18, 2017, a Waterloo Regional Police officer attempted to stop a vehicle on Spadina Road. When the driver of the vehicle did not stop, the officer followed the vehicle.
- On Belmont Avenue, between Queen’s Boulevard and Spadina Road, the fleeing vehicle collided with several other vehicles.
- A pedestrian was struck and sustained serious injuries. Two occupants of another vehicle were also injured. All three individuals were transported to hospital.
- The driver of the vehicle fled the scene on foot.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342