Collision in Toronto involving Diplomatic Vehicle Subject of an SIU Investigation
Case Number: 17-TVI-035
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-TVI-035
- Just before 4:00 p.m. on February 16, 2017, Toronto Police Service officers attempted to stop a vehicle that was driving in the Bloor Street West and Islington Avenue area.
- There was an interaction with the vehicle’s occupants and the vehicle fled.
- A short time later, the fleeing vehicle struck another vehicle in the intersection of Burnhamthorpe Road and Dundas Street West. The vehicle that was struck had diplomatic license plates.
- A third vehicle was also struck in the collision.
- The two occupants of the fleeing vehicle were arrested.
- The male driver of the vehicle with diplomatic plates was taken to hospital with a serious upper body injury.
- A Toronto Police officer was also taken to hospital with an injury.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342