SIU Investigating Shooting in Kitchener
Case Number: 17-OFI-042
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-OFI-042
- Shortly after midnight on Thursday, March 2, 2017, police received a call about a car being driven erratically.
- An officer located the vehicle and conducted a traffic stop in the area of Lilac Street and Ottawa Street.
- There was an interaction between the officer and the 39-year-old driver of the vehicle. The officer discharged his firearm, and the man was struck in the torso. At some point during the interaction, the officer also deployed a conducted energy weapon.
- The man was taken to St. Mary’s hospital for treatment. He remains in the Intensive Care Unit in stable condition.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342