SIU Called for Woman who Fell from Overpass in Burlington
Case Number: 17-OCD-045
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-OCD-045
- Just after 3:30 p.m., Halton Regional Police received a call about a woman on the Dundas Street overpass at Highway 407.
- Officers arrived at the scene.
- There was an interaction and a short time later the woman fell from the overpass to the highway.
- She received medical treatment and was rushed to hospital, where she was pronounced dead.
If you or someone you know is an affected person in need of support, please call the Affected Persons Program General Referral Line at 1-877-641-1897 or click here for more information: siu.on.ca/en/apc.php
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations