SIU Investigating Death of Man in Kitchener
Case Number: 17-OCD-068
*** Spokesperson video is available ***
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-OCD-068
- Shortly after 4 a.m. on Tuesday, April 4, 2017, the Waterloo Regional Police Service received a call of a domestic nature.
- Officers attended a residence on Tilley Court in Kitchener and set up a perimeter.
- After making numerous attempts to contact a 69-year-old man in the home, officers entered the residence at approximately 10 a.m.
- The man was pronounced dead at the scene.
BROADCAST MEDIA: A video of Spokesperson Monica Hudon speaking about this case is available for viewing at the following link: https://youtu.be/tQ7BUSSIBmo
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342