SIU Called to Three-Vehicle Collision at Whitby Intersection
Case Number: 17-OVI-076
- Just after 11:30 a.m. today, a Durham Regional Police Service officer was responding to an alarm call at a school in the Garden Street and Dundas Street area.
- The officer encountered a pickup truck and followed the vehicle, west along Dundas Street.
- At McQuay Boulevard, the pickup truck struck the passenger side of car travelling through the intersection.
- The truck then struck a second vehicle that was turning north onto McQuay Boulevard.
- The 25-year-old male driver of the first car that was struck was taken to hospital with serious internal injuries, including several broken bones.
- The 80-year-old driver of the second vehicle was uninjured, as was a passenger in his vehicle.
- The 39-year-old driver of the pickup truck was arrested shortly after the collision. He was uninjured.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342