SIU Complainant Dies in Toronto Hospital
Case Number: 17-TCD-066
- At approximately 10:45 a.m. on Monday, April 3, 2017, Toronto Police Service officers responded to an apartment building at 23 Lascelles Boulevard for a male in distress.
- Shortly after officers entered an apartment unit, there was an interaction between the man and officers.
- The man was taken to Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre.
- In the early morning hours of Saturday, April 15, 2017, the man was pronounced dead in hospital.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342