SIU Investigating Incident in Toronto; 61-year-old Woman Suffers Life-threatening Injuries
Case Number: 17-TCI-090
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-TCI-090
The province’s Special Investigations Unit is investigating the circumstances surrounding an incident in Toronto in which a 61-year-old woman suffered life-threatening injuries.
Preliminary information indicates the following occurred:
- Sometime after midnight on April 23, 2017, Toronto Police started to receive calls concerning a woman.
- Around 3:00 a.m., several officers arrived at an apartment building on Saranac Boulevard near Lawrence Avenue West and Bathurst Street.
- Officers – including those from the Emergency Task Force – interacted with a 61-year-old woman inside one of the units.
- During the interaction, the woman suffered serious injuries, including burns to a significant portion of her body.
- The woman was rushed to hospital, where she is currently in an intensive care unit.
Four investigators and one forensic investigator have been assigned to investigate this incident.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have information about this investigation to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529. The Unit is also urging anyone who may have any video evidence related to this incident to upload that video through the SIU website.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342