SIU Investigating Single Vehicle Crash in Toronto
Case Number: 17-TVI-104
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-TVI-104
Preliminary information suggests the following occurred:
- Around 2:00 a.m., Toronto Police officers were following a vehicle.
- A short time later, the vehicle crashed into a tree on the front lawn of a residence.
- The male driver of the vehicle fled.
- The male passenger in the vehicle suffered leg injuries and was taken to hospital.
The SIU has assigned five investigators, two forensic investigators, and a collision reconstructionist as part of this investigation.
The SIU is appealing to anyone who may have information about this investigation to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529. The Unit is also urging anyone who may have any video evidence related to this incident to upload that video through the SIU website.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342