SIU Seeking Witnesses to Incident on Yonge Street in Toronto
Case Number: 17-TCI-106
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-TCI-106
Investigators with the province’s Special Investigations Unit are seeking witnesses to an incident that occurred before midnight on Yonge Street in Toronto.
Preliminary information suggests the following occurred:
- Around 11:30 p.m. on May 8, 2017, Toronto Police received a call about a man who was armed and walking on Yonge Street near College Street.
- Officers arrived and there was an interaction with the man.
- After a short foot pursuit, the man was arrested at Yonge Street and Alexander Street.
- The man – who is believed to be in his thirties – was taken to hospital and diagnosed with a serious injury to one of his limbs.
Three investigators have been assigned to investigate this incident.
The SIU has designated one subject officer and seven witness officers as part of this investigation.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have witnessed this incident or have information about this investigation to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529. The Unit is also urging anyone who may have any video evidence related to this incident to upload that video through the SIU website.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342